The Auto/Steel Partnership is a consortium of steel mills, Stellantis, General Motors Company, Toyota and tier one Affiliates. Formed in 1987, the Partnership leverages the resources of the automotive and steel industries to pursue research, validation and education that have helped automakers enhance vehicle safety and fuel economy while improving design and manufacturing. Through the Auto/Steel Partnership, automakers, steel companies and tier suppliers have worked to drive improvements from concept through realization in vehicles on the road today.
The Auto/Steel Partnership will deliver, to the automotive industry, future steel innovations and solutions that meet society’s needs for sustainable vehicles.
To achieve sustainable automotive solutions, Auto/Steel Partnership will appropriately leverage the:
- Intellectual and technical resources of the automotive, steel and related industries / organizations;
- Inherent high-performance characteristics of steel; and
- Innovations in design optimization and manufacturing technologies.
Current Partnership Initiatives
- AHSS Stamping
- Stamping Tooling Optimization
- Constitutive & Fracture Modeling
- Steel Testing & Harmonization
- Gas Metal Arc Welding of AHSS
- AHSS Corrosion Protection
A/SP Focal Projects:
Three focal projects lead the A/SP research agenda:
- LME of 3rd Gen AHSS – Industrial Welding Solutions
- 3rd Gen AHSS Press Tonnage Predictions
- Spring Back Prediction, Control and Validation