Joining Project Team
The Joining Project Team investigates the joining issues associated with higher-strength steels, including 3rd Gen AHSS. The Joining Team’s investigations include; the study of Liquid Metal Embrittlement of 3rd Gen AHSS, improving the toughness of welds in AHSS and Weld/Heat Affected Zone FEA Modelling for Crash.
Focal Projects and Activities
LME of 3rd Gen AHSS – Industrial Welding Solutions
A priority focal project for A/SP is assessing LME susceptibility of AHSS and 3rd Gen AHSS, the impact of industrial welding factors, and developing LME resistant fusion and spot-welding solutions for AHSS and 3rd Gen AHSS. Additional emphasis is on non-destructive testing and inspection methodologies for LME, computer modeling and simulation of spot welds for LME crack formation.
Resources: Training & Publications
- Joint Efficiency Phase II – Executive Summary
- Hemming of Thin Gauge AHSS Video
- Advanced High-Strength Steel Weld Performance Study for Autobody Structural Components
- AHSS Joining – Weld Schedule & Weld Bond Adhesive Guidelines
- GMAW Weld Design Guidelines for Chassis Structures
- Resistance Welding Performance of Advanced High-Strength Steels
- AHSS Joining – Temperature Effect on Impact Performance of AHSS Welds