Joining Project Team
The Joining Team is developing joining strategies to enable the application of AHSS and 3rd Gen AHSS in automotive applications. The Joining Team’s investigations include; development of LME resistant weld schedules for 3rd Gen AHSS, improving the toughness of welds in AHSS, FEA based crash modeling of resistance spot welds, and fusion weld process modeling.
Focal Projects and Activities
LME of 3rd Gen AHSS – Industrial Welding Solutions
A priority focal project for A/SP is assessing LME susceptibility of AHSS and 3rd Gen AHSS, the impact of industrial welding factors, and developing LME resistant fusion and spot-welding solutions for AHSS and 3rd Gen AHSS. Additional emphasis is on non-destructive testing and inspection methodologies for LME, computer modeling and simulation of spot welds for LME crack formation.
Resources: Training & Publications
- 2022 GDIS Presentations
- 2021 GDIS Presentations
- Investigation of Resistance Spot-Welding for 3rd Gen AHSS: Welding Quality and Performance
- Joint Efficiency Phase II – Executive Summary
- Hemming of Thin Gauge AHSS Video
- Advanced High-Strength Steel Weld Performance Study for Autobody Structural Components
- AHSS Joining – Weld Schedule & Weld Bond Adhesive Guidelines
- GMAW Weld Design Guidelines for Chassis Structures
- Resistance Welding Performance of Advanced High-Strength Steels
- AHSS Joining – Temperature Effect on Impact Performance of AHSS Welds